Red wine vinegar is made by fermenting red wine, then straining and bottling it. It’s often aged before bottling to reduce the intensity of the flavour, and it imparts a subtle pinkish hue to whatever you add it to.
Combined with olive oil, some finely minced garlic, a smidgen of Dijon mustard, a pinch of salt and there you have it; the perfect salad dressing! Just a spoonful of this fantastic vinaigrette is enough to brighten up any salad.
Many people enjoy using red wine vinegar in recipes, though it may also have other household uses.
Here are 6 health and nutrition benefits of red wine vinegar.
- May lower blood sugar levels : Acetic acid, a main component of vinegar, may help lower blood sugar levels. Red wine vinegar may also reduce the GI of foods ;
- May protect your skin : The acetic acid and antioxidants in red wine vinegar may be therapeutic for bacterial infections and other skin conditions like burns. Still, more research is needed ;
- May aid weight loss : Red wine vinegar may support weight loss by increasing feelings of fullness and delaying the release of hunger hormones.
- Contains powerful antioxidants : Red wine vinegar packs powerful antioxidants known to help prevent chronic diseases. However, much of the original antioxidant content in red wine is lost during the fermentation process ;
- May boost heart health : The acetic acid and polyphenols in red wine vinegar may help lower total cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides, high levels of which may be risk factors for heart disease.
- Incredibly versatile : Red wine vinegar is most often used in salad dressings and marinades for meat and vegetable dishes. That said, it can also be used for personal care.
Red Wine Vinegar Nutrition Facts
- Serving Size100 g
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat0 g0%
- Saturated Fat0 g0%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Sodium8 mg0.35%
- Total Carbohydrate0.27 g0.1%
- Dietary Fiber0 g0%
- Total Sugars0 g
- Added Sugars0 g0%
- Sugar Alcohal0 g
- Protein0.04 g0.08%
- Calcium6 mg0.46%
- Iron0.45 mg2.5%
- Potassium39 mg0.83%
- Vitamin A0.0 mcg0%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)0.5 mg0.56%
- Phosphorus8 mg1.14%
- Magnesium4 mg1%
- Water94.47 g